1. Joseph T. Mello, of Warren RI, b.
_____ and d. before 1963. He m. Mary Martin, who was b. c. 1886-7 in Red
Bluff, CA. (She had a sister Mrs. Rose Dias living in CA in 1963.) She lived
most of her life in Warren, RI. In the winter of 1909 she and her three
small children survived the wreck of the White Star Liner Republic,
which sank (while en route from New York to Europe) off Nantucket Shoals
after colliding with the Italian ship Florida. She moved to Vineyard
Haven about 1957 and into the Vineyard Haven Nursing Home about 1958, and
she died at the Vineyard Haven Nursing Home on July 25, 1963. She
is buried in Warren RI.
They had the following children:
10. Mary Mello, b. c. 1901-2 in St. Michael.[GAZ] She was one of the children who survived the wreck. She lived in Rhode Island for several years, and then moved to Martha's Vineyard about 1930. She m. Frank Oliviera/Olivera of Vineyard Haven. She was living in Vineyard Haven in 1963 and 1965. She died June 6, 1965 at Martha's Vineyard Hospital, and buried in Warren RI.
*11. Gabriel P. Mello, b. 1904 in San Miguel.
12. Ernest Mello, b. Aug. 26, 1906 in San Miguel. He came to the United States as a small boy. He lived in Tisbury for a time, and was a orderly in the Vineyard Haven Marine Hospital. He served as a private in the US Army in England and the Middle East in World War II. He was living in Providence in 1963 and 1965. He d. Feb. 7, 1973 at the Veteran's Hospital in Providence. He had no children, and apparently no wife, when he died in 1973.
13? "Gabby" Mello "Gabby" Mello is remembered to be a younger(?) brother of Gabriel. (Could he be the same person as Ernest Mello (12)?) He worked at Renear's Service Station on Church Street Vineyard Haven for a time.
Gabby Mello at Renear's Service Station >
11. Gabriel Pachico Mello, b. 1904 in San Miguel. He came to Martha's Vineyard with his parents as a small child, and was one of the children who survived the 1909 wreck of the Rebublic. He was a Tisbury clerk in 1926, and a Tisbury laborer in 1929 and 1934. He was a mechanic, and worked for Ben David Motors and Renear's Ford Sales before starting his own business at his home on Spring Street, Vineyard Haven. He was known for his ingenuity in the garage. He lived on William St, Vineyard Haven, in 1931, at Tashmoo and "Burt's Farm" in 1933, on West Spring St., Vineyard Haven in 1939, on Legion Parkway, Vineyard Haven in 1939, and in Vineyard Haven in 1963-65 and 1973. He died Dec. 21, 1973 at Falmouth Hospital.
He m. Agnes G. Campos (/Dias?) May 11, 1925. She was born in 1908 in Fall River, (the sister of Manuel Dias of Swansea, Antone Dias of Fall River, Mrs. Mary Roderiques of Haywood CA and Mrs. Irene Powers of Rosemead CA in 1975.) She lived in Vineyard Haven most of her life, and was listed as a resident of that town in 1934 and 1973. About 1973 she moved to New Bedford. She was a practical nurse, employed by the Martha's Vineyard Hospital. . She d. Oct. 13, 1975 at St. Luke's Hospital.
They had the following children:
20. Jean (AKA Eleanor Pachico?) Mello, b. Feb. 18, 1926 in Tisbury. She m. James Flowers and was living in Falmouth in 1973 and 1975.
21. Irene Mello, b. Sep 28, 1927. Was she the daughter who married F. G. Richards and was living in New Bedford in 1973 and 1975?
22. Prof. Edward Joseph Mello, b. Sep. 28, 1929 in Tisbury. He was living in Plattsburgh, NY, in 1975.
23. Richard Raymond Mello, b. January 1, 1934 in New Bedford. . He renovated the service station in Edgartown and worked at Brickman's for a number of years. He was living in Dennisport in 1964, and in Vineyard Haven in 1973 and 1975. He had a son Tommy Mello, b. Oct. 1960.
24. Joseph Philip Mello, b. Aug. 27, 1938 in Tisbury. He was living in Alaska in 1973, and in Anchorage Alaska in 1975.
33. Richard Raymond Mello,(Gabriel1), b. January 1, 1934 in New Bedford MA. He was living in Dennisport in 1964. He m. Anne Ruth Dorr. She was b. November 12, 1939 in Boston MA. They had the following children:
*40. RICHARD RAYMOND MELLO, JR.
*41. PATRICIA JAYE MELLO
*42. THOMAS JOSEPH MELLO
*43. SHARON ANN MELLO
*44. LYDIA ASHLEY MELLO
45. JOHN EDWARD MELLO
46. JAY GABRIEL MELLO
100. Victorino Pacheco deMello, called
"Victor," b. c. 1839 (?*) in Vila deNordeste, St. Michael, the son of Joao Pacheco de Mello and Maria
deJesus Victorino. He m. Maria Emelia deConceicao Valera/Valeiro deMedeiros
of St. Michael on Aug. 16, 1875 in Povoacao, St. Michael. She
was b. 1833(?!*) in Povoacao, Sao Miguel, the daughter of Francisco Vallerio
de Medeiros and Anna Joaquina de Jesus.
They had children:
*110. Ernest Pacheco Mello, b. Mar. 28, 1884 in St. Miguel.
111. Frank Mello
112. _____ (daughter). She married Eugene Borges and was living in Fall River in 1940.
113. _____ (daughter). She married Jack C. Perira and was living in Fall River in 1940.
110. Ernest Pacheco Mello, b. Mar. 28,
1884 in St. Miguel. He came to the United States via Brazil at the age of
twenty (c. 1905). He was a farmer, and worked at Hollyholm in Chilmark
and at Seven Gates. They evidently lived in Fall River during 1909-1914,
and in Warren RI in 1917-18. He was living in West Tisbury in 1923 and 1934,
and in Edgartown in 1940. He died
at his Main St., Edgartown home on Jan. 9, 1940 of colon cancer.
He m. (1) Maria Emelia daConceicao Alfonso on Feb. 24, 1908 in Fall River, MA. She was b. July 1884 at Povacoa Sao Miguel, the dau. of Jacintho de Mello Alfonso and Maria da Conceicao Pereira Amaral. She died Oct. 30, 1918 in Cranston, RI.
He m. (2nd?) Lechandrinha Constantina Correiro, known as "Shandary" and "Shandry," b. in February 1879, the daughter of Antone Jose Furtado and Maria Constantina Furtado (who were living in the Azores in 1934.) She died Jan. 24, 1934 (or 1924? ). She evidently had no children at the time of her death.
He m. (3rd?) Maria Luzia Rebello. She was b. in Sao Paula, Brazil c. 1904-5, lived for a short while in San Miguel, then moving to Warren RI, and finally to Martha's Vineyard about 1925-6. (She had a brother Mariano Rabello and a sister Mrs. Virginia Torres who were both living in Fall River in 1964. She worked for the Charlotte Inn. She m. (2) Thomas Decosta Sr. (40). She was living in Edgartown in 1964 and died at Martha's Vineyard Hospital on Apr. 2, 1964.
He had the children listed below by his first wife. (Note that Mello sisters married Prada brothers.)
120. John Pacheco Mello, b. Mar. 30, 1908? or Mar. 23, 1909? in Fall River, MA.
121. Deolinda/D'Olinda Florence Mello, b. June, 1910 in Fall River. She was living in Tisbury in 1932 . She m. Raymond Thompson Prada (32) on Sep 1, 1932 in Tisbury. He was son of John Prada and Annie M. Thompson. He was an Edgartwon farmer in 1932. They were living in Edgartown in 1940 and in Newport RI in 1964.
122. Phoppitto Mello, b. Oct. 1911 in Fall River, and d. June 3, 1912 in Fall River.
123. Eltalvina Mello
124. Lydia Mello, b. 1912 in Fall River and d. 1917 in Warren, RI.
121. Maria Genevieve Mello, called "Jen", b. November 1914 in Fall River MA. . She was a Tisbury waitress in 1934. She m. Albert Harding Prada (33) on Dec. 10, 1934 in Tisbury. He was an Edgartown farmer in 1934. They were living in Edgartown in 1940 and in Newport RI in 1964.
122. Palmira Elinor Mello, b. Mar. 23, 1918 in Warren, RI. She was living unmarried in Swansea in 1940. She m. Stanley Antone Spencer Sr. They were living in Newport, RI in 1964.
120. John P. Mello, b. Mar. 30, 1908? or Mar. 23, 1909? in Fall River, MA. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1940, and in New Bedford in 1964. He m. Florine S. Bernard (60) on Sep. 29, 1931. She was b. December 20, 1913, the dau. of John H. Bernard (16) and Fannie R. Peters (16). She had been m(1) to John Felix. John Mello died Jan. 20, 1999 in Charlton Memorial Hospital. John Mello (150) and Florine S. Bernard (60) had the following child:
160. BRUCE JOHN MELLO, b. May 4, 1937. He m. _____ and has two daughters.
80. Francisco (Frank) Cabral (de)Mello, b. ________ on the island of St. Michael in the Azores. He m. Rose Costa.They had the following children:
*90. MANUEL CABRAL (de)MELLO, b. in Nov. 6, 1884
*91. JOSEPH C. MELLO, b. in 1891.
92. CABRAL (de) MELLO, known as "Frank" and "Francis," b. in 22 Dec 1893 on St. Michael. He immigrated to Boston on the Canopic, arriving on Oct. 30, 1913. He lived in Edgartown for most of his life, and was employed as a farmer, gardener, and caretaker. He was listed as an Edgartown farmer in 1922, and an Edgartown fisherman in 1926. . Frank (Francisco) Cabral Mello (92) d. November 22, 1979. He m. Mary H. Enos (13) July 27, 1926 in Oak Bluffs. She was b. Sep. 9, 1896 in Fayal, the dau. of Joseph Enos and Mary Furtado Castro. She worked at Hall's Department Store. She had been m(1) to Charles J. Doyle (1). She d. April 7, 1978Martha's Vineyard Hospital.
93. ERNEST C. MELLO, b. in 1891 on the island of St. Michael in the Azores. He was living in the Azores in 1966, and in New Bedford in 1975.
90. Manuel Cabral (de)Mello, (Frank1),
b. in November 1884 on St. Michael. He immigrated to Boston on Nov. 5, 1902, at the age
of eighteen. He spent one year in New Bedford with an aunt, and then
came to Edgartown to work on the farm of William G. Vincent for five years.
. He then bought a boat and became a fisherman. Manuel
was listed as an Edgartown fisherman in 1910, an Edgartown
fisherman in 1920 living on Cottage Street, an Edgartown
fisherman in 1922 and 1926, and was living in Edgartown in 1966. His last
boat, Mirmar, he sailed and fished in for thirty-five years. He
fished, shellfished, and took families sailing, and was
known as "Captain Mello." He was also a skilled gardener. Manuel Cabral Mello
(90) d. October 7, 1975.
He m(1) Pamilia/Palmeida F. Medeiros October 23, 1910 in Oak Bluffs. She was b. in August, 1892 in New Bedford MA, the dau. of Joseph F. Medeiros (__) and Annie M. Enos and was the sister of Mary F. Medeiros who m. Antone Francis Silvia (123). They were the joint owners of a piece of land in New Bedford. She d. January 21, 1924 in Edgartown MA.
He m(2) Maxemena Borges Gracia on Sep 27, 1926. Called "Maxie", she was b. in New Bedford MA on July 16, 1900, the dau. of Antone Borges Gracia and Mary Rosiaro. She was living in Padanaram, South Dartmouth, MA, in 1926. She died in August 1991. Maximena Mello lived on Cooke street, just a few houses down from the Edgartown historical society. She was the first Portuguese member of the historical society. She also owned a home on Summer street, but it was too big to live in alone after her husband died. She died Aug. 19, 1991.
He had the following children:
100. GILBERT C. MELLO, b. May 20, 1913. He m. _______. He won a distinguished service medal and the Croux(?) de Guerre. He was living in Edgartown in 1972 and 1975. He d. December 30, 1980.
*101. FRANK C. MELLO, b. August 18, 1914.
*102. ALFRED PAUL MELLO, b. January 30, 1919.
*103. DAVID GRACIA MELLO, b. July 2, 1932.
91. Joseph (Jose) Cabral (De Mallo) Mello,
(Frank1), b. Oct. 21, 1890 on St. Michael. He emigrated to Boston, arriving on Apr. 25, 1911, and
came to Edgartown about 1911. He was an Edgartown farmer in 1916, and was
a fisherman living on Katama Road, Edgartown in 1920 and 1922.
He was listed in Edgartown in 1938, and on
Katama Road in 1966, near the corner of South Water St. and Pease's Point
Way. He was a commercial fisherman and gardener. He
d. March 23, 1966.
He m. Mary Silva Bettencourt (321) May 1, 1916Oak Bluffs. She was b. March 3, 1897 in Edgartown, the dau. of Manuel S. Bettencourt (310) and Mary Dias and the twin sister of Joseph Silva Bettencourt (322). She lost her citizenship by marrying an alien, but was renaturalized at Dukes Counst Superior Court in September 1940. She was living in Edgartown in 1990 and died April 22, 1990 in Falmouth MA.
They had the following child:
*110. EDITH BETTENCOURT MELLO, b. May 20, 1919. She m. Charles Leo Tobin (1) on 29 Jun 1946 in Edgartown. She was living in Hartford in 1946, and on 153 Goodale Drive, Newington, CT, in 1965-6.
101. Frank C. Mello, (Manuel2,
Frank1), b. August 18, 1914. He was a partner of grocery firm Boulton and Mello in
1946, and was living in South Dartmouth. He was living in Padanaram in 1975 and in
South Dartmouth in 1972. Frank was living in Westport, MA in 1993, and died May
He m. Eunice B. Gracia December 20, 1946 in Dartmouth. She was b. ________, the dau. of Antonio B. Gracia and ________ of South Dartmouth, and the sister of Maxemena Borges Gracia who married Manuel Cabral Mello (90). They had the following children:
120. FRANK MELLO, JR., b. ________.
121. MARY MAXENE MELLO, b. ________.
102. Alfred Paul Mello, (Manuel2,
Frank1), b. January 30, 1919. He was living in Tequesta, FL in 1975,
and in Edgartown in 1972.
He m. Edith Lillian Drake June 1, 1940. She was b. in 1921 in Taunton MA, the dau. of Frank Drake and Edith Miles Nickerson. She m(2) Dudley Bennett October 28, 1947 and m(3) Cyril Adrian Cory November 24, 1978. Alfred Paul Mello (102) and Edith Lillian Drake had the following child:
130. DEXTER PAUL MELLO, b. March 15, 1942. He m. Marjorie Shaw Beattie July 12, 1971. She was b. in 1939. She had been m(1) to ________ Wardell.
103. David Gracia Mello, (Manuel2, Frank1), b. July 2, 1932. He m(1) Priscilla E. Elliot December 14, 1955 in Quincy MA. She was b. ________, the dau. of ________ and Mary W. ________. David Gracia Mello (103) m(2) Elaine Blondin, called "Lainey". He had the following children:
140. SARAH DEAN MELLO, b________. She m. ______ Temple.
141. RACHAEL MELLO, b. ________.
170. Manuel Mello, called "Smash-em-Up", b. ________. He m. Adalena E. Salvadore (18). She was b. ________, the dau. of Antone P. Salvadore (1) and Mary J. Pray (10). They were living in Danvers in 1945. They had the following children:
*180. HAZEL R. MELLO, b. in 1922 in Danvers MA; m. Donald J. Maguire (1).
181. ELEANOR MELLO, b. ________; m. ________ Marshall.
182. MARJORIE MELLO, b. ________; m. ________ Scheyis.
183. SHIRLEY MELLO, b. ________; m. ________ Bell.
184. ROGER MELLO
190. Manuel Cabral Mello, AKA Manuel Cabral, b. 21 Feb 1883 on the island of St. Michael. (He had a sister, Mrs. Maria Correia living in the Azores in 1962.) He immigrated to Boston on the vessel Canopic under the name "Manuel Cabral," arriving on Mar. 23, 1909. He was apparently living in Bristol County in 1925. He was a laborer living on Summer Street in Edgartown about 1933. He lived on Pierce Lane, Edgartown for many years before moving off island. He was a skilled carpenter. Manuel C Mello died Aug. 18, 1962 in South Dartmouth, MA.
He married (1st) _________. He married (2nd?) Maria Rocha on Jan. 17, 1930 in New Bedford. She was born July 28, 1895 on St. Michael, and immigrated to Providence on Oct. 2, 1912. She died before 1962.
He had the following children by his first marriage :
*200. JOSEPH CABRAL MELLO, b. Apr. 10, 1914 in New Bedford. He was living in Edgartown in 1933.
201. ANTONE MELLO, b. June 14, 1915 in New Bedford. He was living in Edgartown in 1933. He went missing in action in the Normandy Invasion in 1944. He was in the Army infantry, and the Gazette noted that he had a wife living in Dartmouth.
202. JOHN CABRAL MELLO, b. Oct. 8, 1918 in New Bedford. He was living in Edgartown in 1933, and in New Bedford in 1962.
203. MANUEL MELLO, b. Apr. 4, 1921 in New Bedford. He was living in Edgartown in 1933 and in New Bedford in 1962.
204. CHARLES CABRAL MELLO, b. Aug. 14, 1922 in Dartmouth. He was living in Edgartown in 1933 and in New Bedford in 1962. He m. Dorothy ________. . ] He had a daughter _____ Mello and a son Charles Mello.
200. Joseph Cabral Mello, (Manuel1), b. Apr. 10, 1914 in New Bedford. He was living in Edgartown in 1933. He went to the Edgartown schools, but moved off-island with his family, and finally returned to Edgartown after World War II. He lived on Morse St. Edgartown. in 1962. He m. Patricia Eaphemie Corrigan on May 3, 1943 in Louisville, KY. They had the following children:
*210. JOSEPH CORRIGAN MELLO
211. ROBERT PATRICK MELLO
*212. JULIE JOSE MELLO
240. Manuel Moniz Mello, b. in 1908 in North Fairhaven MA. He m. Mary Elizabeth Rezendes (11) October 26, 1931. She was b. January 1, 1908 in Edgartown MA, the dau. of Antone C. Rezendes (1) and Rose Texeira. She m(2) John Viera Costa (170) and m(3) Robert Benjamin Malcolm Baptiste (70). She d. December 10, 1988. Manuel Moniz Mello (240) and Mary Elizabeth Rezendes (11) had the following child:
*250. GLORIA ROSEMARY MELLO, b. Jan. 21, 1932. She m(1) George Richard Silva (87) on Aug. 26, 1950 in Edgartown. He was the son of Antone M. Silva Sr. of Edgartown. . She m(2) Milton Jeffers May 13, 1982. He was b. December 13, 1922, the son of Lawrence C. Jeffers and Bertha S. Belain.
270. Frank Mello/Mallo, b. bef. 1896 in St. Michael. He was a Tisbury carpenter in 1912, 1913, 1915 and 1916. He m. Mary K. Pachico (290) before 1912. She was born in St. Michael. They had the following children:
280. Mary L. Mallo, b. Mar. 29, 1912 in Tisbury.
281. Virginia Mallo, b. Sep. 15, 1913 in Tisbury.
282. Christian/Christopher Mello/Mallo, b. February 14, 1915Tisbury. He evidently moved to Rhode Island before 1951, and was living in Pawtucket RI about 1982. He died in March 1982.
283. Frank Mello, b. Feb. 4, 1916 in Tisbury.
300. Manuel A. Mello, b. ________ in Graciosa. He was a Tisbury laborer in 1911, 1913, 1915, and 1917. He was living at Tashmoo Farm in 1917, and on Hen Farm Road in 1918. He m. Isaltine/Izaltina/Ezaltina/Esaltine Silva (760) before 1911. She was born in Graciosa. They had the following children:
310. Edward D. Mello, b. July 10, 1911 in Tisbury. He evidently moved to California before 1951 and died in August 1973.
311. James Mallo, b. Sep. 23, 1913 in Tisbury He evidently moved to California before 1951, was living in San Luis Obispo CA about 1985, and died in March 1985.
312. Edaline/Edalina Mello, b. October 21, 1915 in Tisbury. [tvr, TVR]
313. Alice Mello, b. Oct. 1, 1917 in Tisbury.
320. Frank A. Mello, b. 1874-5 in "Portugal".
He immigrated in 1909, and appears
in Tisbury as a house carpenter in 1910. He m. Mary _____ about 1897-8. She was
born c. 1876-7 in "Portugal" and immigrated in 1910.
They had the following children:
330. Camillo Mello, b. c. 1899-1900 in "Portugal."
331. Vergilais(?) Mello, b. c. 1901-2 in "Portugal."
332. Mary Mello, b. c. 1903-4 in "Portugal."
333. Angelina Mello, b. c. 1905-6 in "Portugal."
334. Noemia Mello, b. c. 1907-8 in "Portugal."
Camillo Mello, Tisbury School, 8th Grade Class Photo, 1915-1916 >
340. Manuel Cabral Mello, b. ________
on the island of St. Michael in the Azores. He m. Maria Moniz (50)
January 17, 1931. She was b. in 1895 on St. Michael.
350. Mary Mello of Tisbury, b. before 1915 in the Azores. She m. Ernest Campos before 1930. . He was a Tisbury painter in 1930 and 1933.
370. Maria Mello. She m. Jesse Rose before 1915. They were both born in San Miguel. He was a Tisbuiry laborer in 1915.
390. Frances Mello. She m. Ernest F. Correllus before 1917. They were both born in St. Michael. He was a Tisbury gardener in 1917.
410. Mary Mello, who m. Joseph Correllus. Their daughter Beatrice Anna Correllus was born about 1913-4 in Tisbury.
430. Maria/Mary Mello. She was the daughter of Manuel Pimental and Mary Mello of St. Michael, and the sister of Mary (Mrs. Joseph) Constantino of San Miguel and Oak Bluffs (b. c. 1884-5, d. 1936). She was living in Oak Bluffs in 1936, 1944, and on Vineyard Ave, Oak Bluffs for years with her sister Mary Constantino. She died Nov. 6, 1951 in New Britain CT.
450. Emma Agnes Mello, born _____ in New Bedford, the dau. of Joseph Mello (formerly of New Bedford.) She was living in Edgartown in 1927. She m. Leland Prescott Searle of Edgartown in December 1927. He was born _____ in Edgartown, the son of George K. Searle. They were living in Edgartown in 1931.
470. Manuel Mello, b. _____ in "St. Francis, Portugal." He was a Tisbury agricultural worker in 1896.[TVR] He married Mary Raisin, who was also born in St. Francis Portugal. They had daughter Mary Isabelle Elizabeth Mello, b. Oct. 6, 1896 in Tisbury.
They may also be the same as:
Manuel Mello, b. in St. Michael. He m. Mary Salieruru(?) before 1898. She was born in St. Michael. They had a son Manuel Mello SWARTZ, who was born and died in 1898 in Cottage City.
They may also be the same as:
Manuel Mallo, b. Aug. 1871 in the Azores, and immigrated to the United States in 1890. He appeared in the 1900 Cottage City census as a day laborer. He m. Mary ____ about 1897-8. She was born January 1872 in the Azores, and immigrated in 1896. They had two children before 1900, both of whom were dead by 1900.
490. Manuel Mello, b. March 1880. He appears in the 1900 Cottage City census. He was a single day laborer in 1900, and had immigrated in 1898.
510. Valentina Mello, b. Feb 27, 1910 in Ribeiras, Pico. She emigrated to Boston on Nov. 11, 1919 on the S. S. Cretic. She m. Frank Joseph Perry (262) on June 9, 1934 in New Bedford. He was born Apr. 8, 1906 in Edgartown. She was living in Edgartown in 1953 and c. 1986, and died in May 1986.
530. Anthony Mello of Oak Bluffs(?). He died before 1958. He m. Olivia M. ______, who was b. 1885-6 in Graciosa. She lived in Dedham for many years before moving to Oak Bluffs about 1949. She had a sister Mrs. Albert Rogers of Dedham in 1958.
They had a daughter: ______ Mello, who m. Joseph Telles and was living in Oak Bluffs in 1958.
550. John R. Mello. He m. Mary C. Perry. They had a daughter Alexanderina R. Mello, b. c. 1899-1900 in St. Michael. She was an Edgartown spooler in 1918. She m. Manuel Ferreira Bronco/Branco of Edgartown on Dec. 28, 1918 in Edgartown.
570. Mary Dewart Mello, b. in St. Michael. She m. Frank M. Star(r) of Fayal or St. Michael. They had daughters Jennie M. Starr (who was b. 1912 and d. 1914 in Oak Bluffs), and Olive Starr (b. 1913 and d. 1914 in Oak Bluffs.)
590. Evelyn Mello, b. c. 1918(?) in Fall River, the sister of Mary Val Mello of Fall River, 1998(?). She came to Vineyard Haven about 1938(?). She died Feb. 28, 1998(?) at Cape Cod Hospital . She was living in Vineyard Haven at the time of her death. She m. John Pereira, who d. in 1984. They had three daughters: Carolyn A. Pereira who m. _____ Henkel, Susan Mello who m. _____ Yacek, and Jessica Mello who m. _____ DiPaola .
610. George Mello. He was living in Fairhaven, MA in 1998. He m. Laura Viera. She was born 1922-3 in Warren, RI, the daughter of John Viera and Laura Peters. She lived in Edgartown before moving to Fairhaven, MA in 1943. She died at Rose Hawthorne Lathrop Home in Fall River, MA on June 30, 1998. They had children:
620. Glenn T. Mello. He was living in Fairhaven, MA in 1998.
621. Linda A. Mello. She was living in New Bedford, MA in 1998.
630. Anton Cardoza de Mello,
b. Feb. 1872 in "Portugal". He immigrated in 1890, and appears
as a farm laborer in the West Tisbury census of 1900. He married Annie
H. Viera about 1895-6. She was born in April 1875 in "Portugual"
and immigrated in 1896.
They had three children by 1900, one of whom died before 1900:
640. Maria Cardoza de Mello, b. Dec. 1897 in "Portugal."
641. _____ Cardoza de Mello, b. Feb. 1900 in MA.
The following family appears next door to Anton Cardoza deMello (630) in the 1900 West Tisbury census:
650. Jose/Joseph Cardoza DeMello, b.
1864 in "Portugal." He immigrated in 1890 or 1896 He appears in the 1900 West Tisbury census as a farm
laborer, and in 1910 as a West Tisbury farmer. He married
Maria/Mary ______ about 1887-8. She was born in Portugal in June 1864, and
immigrated in 1890 or 1896.
They had the following children:
650. Ernest Cardoza DeMello, b. Aug 1888 in "Portugal." He immigrated in 1896. He was a dairy farm farm laborer in West Tisbury in 1910.
651. Jose/Joseph Cardoza DeMello, b. Jun 1894 in "Portugal." He immigrated in1896. He was a farm laborer in West Tisbury in 1910.
652. Stuira /Christine H. Cardoza DeMello, b. Aug 1895 in "Portugal." She immigrated in 1896.
653. Frank Cardoza DeMello, b. Oct 1899 in MA. He evidently died between 1900 and 1910.
654. Mary C. DeMello, b. 1900-1 in MA.
655. Carri(?) B. C. DeMello, b. 1907-8 in MA.
660. Joseph DeMello, b. c. 1874-5 in
St. Michael . He came to the United States about 1895. He
lived in New Bedford most of his life and worked as a fisherman. He
m. Louise Sylvia. He died Jan. 1940 in New Bedford.
They had the following children:
*670. Frank Edward DeMello, b. c. 1899 in New Bedford.
671. Alfred DeMello. He was living in New Bedford in 1980.
672. Georgiana Mello. She m. _____ Ferreira and was living in New Bedford in 1980. 672. Tessie Mello. She m. _____ Sylvia and was living in New Bedford in 1980.
670. Frank Edward DeMello,
b. c. 1899 in New Bedford. He moved from New Bedford to Martha's Vineyard in 1923,
and was an Edgartown teamster in 1924. He
was the caretaker of Naushon island, and an employee on Dutton's Farm. He
was living in Edgartown in 1940. For many years he was a custodian of the Edgartown School,
from which he retired in June 1964. He suffered burns and made news when the school boiler
exploded in 1959. He died Oct. 19, 1980 at Martha's Vineyard Hospital.
He m. Florence Marguerite Andrada (14) on Apr 28 1924 in Edgartown. She was born c. 1902-5 in Edgartown , the daughter of Antone B. Andrade and Claudina Amaral. She was employed for many years by Judge and Mrs. Abner L. Braley. She d. Nov. 28, 1980 at Martha's Vineyard Hospital.
They had a daughter:
680. Elizabeth Ann DeMello. She m. Arthur Donald Marshall (22) and was living in Vineyard Haven in 1980.