1. José Pimental AKA Joseph P. Metell AKA Joseph Metell Rogers was born c. 1857-8 in Flores, the son of Joseph Pimental and Francis(ca) _____. (He was undoubtedly also the brother of Mary A. (Marian) Pimental, born c. 1862-3 in Flores, who married George (or Joseph?) Sylva/Silva and was living in Cottage City in 1880 and 1890.) He was a Cottage City workman in 1880, and was listed as a Cottage City laborer in 1881, 1887, and 1889.
He m. Maquelina Pacheco Medeiros (12) of Cottage City on 26 Jun 1880 in Cottage City. Called "Lena," she was born in December 1860 in San Miguel, the daughter of Manuel Medeiros (1) and Innocensia Rosa Ferreira. Maquelina's obituary states that she came to Oak Bluffs as a "small child" although the 1900 census states that she immigrated to the US in 1877. She was illiterate. She was a Cottage City housekeeper in 1899.
The 29 Apr 1897 Gazette reported that "Meckleima Medeiros Metell" was granted a divorce from Joseph Metell on the grounds of desertion in the April 1897 sitting of the Dukes County Superior Court. Maquelina m. (2nd) John/Joseph Real (AKA John Sousa) on 15 Nov 1899 in Cottage City. He was b. May 1865 in the Azores, the son of Joseph S. Reil(?) and Mary _____. He immigrated in 1889, is called a Cottage City laborer in 1899, and as "John Sousa" appears as a Cottage City day laborer in 1900. He evidently died about 1917-20.
Maquelina appears with her son Fred in Oak Bluffs in 1920, and was living in Revere in 1941. She died in January 1942 in Everett, MA.
Descendants of this family went by both "Rogers" and "Metell."
They had the following children:
*10. JOSEPH METELL ROGERS, b. June 1, 1881 in Cottage City.
*11. FREDERICK R. METELL , b. October 1885 in Cottage City.
12. MANUEL METELL ROGERS , b. Apr. 11, 1887 in Cottage City. According to his obituary, Manuel worked as a chauffeur in both West Chop and Milton, MA, then returned to Oak Bluffs and became the Oak Bluffs Fish Warden. In World War I he enlisted in the medical corps in the ambulance company. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937. He died about September or October 1941 at the Bronx Veterans Hospital, NY, and is buried in Oak Bluffs. He m. Irene ____. She was living in Oak Bluffs in 1941.
13. MARY METELL ROGERS, called "Mamie," b. Feb. 15, 1889 in Cottage City. The 15 July 1909 Gazette mentions a "Miss Mamie Metell" who left her parents house "under rather strange circumstances" but doesn't elaborate. She was living in Everett in 1937, 1942 and 1949. She m. Jules Sylvia/Silvia on Sep. 18, 1911 in Revere, MA. He was born c. 1886-7 in the Western Islands, the son of Joseph and Rosa De Silvia. He was a Revere waiter in 1911. They had a daughter Mildred Sylvia/Silvia who evidently married ____ Sousa. Mildred was living in Falmouth in 1942.
10. Joseph Metell
"Joe," b. June 1, 1881 in Cottage City. He lived his whole life in Oak Bluffs. He
worked as a Cottage City day laborer in 1900, a clerk
living at 65 Clinton Ave. Oak Bluffs in 1907, an odd
jobs laborer in Oak Bluffs in 1910, and a carpenter. He appears in Oak Bluffs in 1920 as a house carpenter,
and on Pacific Ave., Oak Bluffs, in 1922. He
died Jan. 30, 1937 by suicide by shotgun.
He married Rita Sylvia about 1904-5. She was born about 1886 on the island of Pico. (She had two brothers George Silvia of Florida and John Silvia of California, and a sister Mrs. Joseph Dennis of Fall River, in 1961. ) She immigrated in 1903, and came to Oak Bluffs in the same year . She died February 9, 1961Martha's Vineyard Hospital.
He and Rita Sylvia had the following children:
*30. ADELINE M. METELL, b. in February 1905 in Mass.; m. Thomas Joseph De Mont (1). They were living in Oak Bluffs in 1937 and 1961.
31. JOSEPH E. METELL, b. August 31, 1911. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937 and in Bridgeport in 1961. Joseph was a retired steamfitter living on 36 Vine Rd., Stamford in 1992. . Joseph died Nov. 25, 1992 in Stamford, CT. He m. Gladys Elizabeth McDonough on October 10, 1937. From Boston MA, she was born in 1907. She m(2) Harold A. Luce November 20, 1954. Joseph m. (2nd?) Mae Stewart. She was b. Sep. 12, 1919 in Ireland and d. Aug. 18, 1987 in Stamford CT. She was a retired home health aid worker (previously employed by the Bridgeport VN Assoc.), living at 69 Chestnut Hill Rd, Stamford, in 1987.
*32. EVELYN ELIZABETH METELL, b. Nov. 13(?), 1912; m(1) Ernest Soares Medeiros (350) and m(2) Alfred Moniz. She was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937 and 1961.
*33. ARTHUR ALFRED METELL, b. February 9, 1916.
34. MARY E. METELL, born c. 1917-18 in Mass. She m. Augustus Bender. She was living in New York and/or Oak Bluffs in 1937,and in Huntington L.I. in 1961.
*35. ALFRED MANUEL METELL, b. September 3, 1918.
*36. FRANCIS KENNETH METELL, b. December 21, 1919.
37. MANUEL HENRY METELL, b. Apr. 4, 1921 in Oak Bluffs, and d. Apr. 24, 1922 in Oak Bluffs of pneumonia and marasmus.
*38. HENRY M. METELL, b. c. 1922-3.
*39. HERBERT DANIEL METELL, b. May 15, 1925.
11. FREDERICK ROGERS METELL,
called "Fred," b. October 1885 in Cottage City. . He was listed as an Oak Bluffs plumber in 1915 and
1920. He was living on Circuit Ave., Oak Bluffs in 1920, and in
Oak Bluffs in 1937. For some years he operated a branch hardware and supply
store in Edgartown, he sold oil stoves for a time, and was the first distributor
of GE refrigerators on the island. He bought a plumbing business in Falmouth about 1939,
and lived thereafter in Quissett. He was listed as living in Falmouth in 1941 and
1942, and in Quissett in 1946. He died
at Cape Cod Hospital on Oct. 10, 1949.
He m. Mary Jane Cardoza/Cardoze on April 19, 1915. She was born in Fall River MA on Oct. 31, 1897, the dau. of Antone Cardoza and Nolrine Viera. She was living in Chilmark in 1915, and was living in Falmouth in 1945 and 1962. She d. May 1, 1990 in Falmouth, MA.
Frederick R. Metell (10) and Mary Jane Cardoza had the following children:
20. RICHARD METELL, b. March 19, 1916 in Oak Bluffs. He died Jan. 8, 1926 of tuberculosis.
21. FREDERICK R. METELL, JR., b. May 12, 1929. He m. Ruth Emilie Weeks on Sept. 7, 1946 in Woods Hole. She was the daughter of Arthur Weeks of Quissett. They were living in Quissett in 1946, and in Falmouth in 1949.
22. JOHN ROBERT METELL, called "Robert", b. Sep. 10, 1927. He was living in Falmouth in 1949.
33. ARTHUR ALFRED METELL, (Joseph1), b. February 19, 1916. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937, and in Edgartown in 1961. He m. Irene Mae Ferreira (171) on October 5, 1936. She was b. October 17, 1917, the dau. of William Daniel Ferreira (151), called "Daniel", and Henrietta Amaral (25). Arthur Alfred Metell (35) and Irene Mae Ferreira (171) had the following children:
*50. ELAINE ELIZABETH METELL
*51. PATRICIA ANN METELL
*52. ARTHUR JAMES METELL
*53. KENNETH FRANCIS METELL
35. ALFRED MANUEL METELL, (Joseph1), AKA "Frederick" and "Fred," and called "Quahog", b. September 3, 1918. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937 and 1961, and was living in Vineyard Haven in 1987. He m. Ruth Vivian De Bettencourt (21) October 12, 1946. She was b. September 21, 1925, the dau. of John Anthony De Bettencourt (11) and Marion Julia Pacheco (130). Alfred Manuel Metell (36) d. February 21, 1987 in Boston MA. He and Ruth Vivian De Bettencourt (21) had the following children:
60. CLAUDIA METELL
61. ALFRED DAVID METELL
*62. COLEEN ANN METELL
63. CAROL ANN METELL
64. COREY ANN METELL
36. FRANCIS KENNETH METELL, (Joseph1), b. December 21, 1919. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937 and 1961. He m. Fortunata Anne Paiva (25). She was b. January 25, 1925 , the dau. of Claudino Alexander Paiva (11) and Celestine (Coancrent) Couei. He died in May, 1992. Francis Kenneth Metell (37) and Fortunata Anne Paiva (25) had the following children:
*70. FRANCIS KENNETH METELL, JR.
*71. DENNIS CLAUDE METELL
72. SUSAN ANGELA METELL
*73. SYLVIA ANN METELL
*74. PAUL JOSEPH METELL
*75. PETER ANTHONY METELL
38. HENRY M. METELL, (Joseph1), b. c. 1922-3. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937, on Long Island in 1961, and in Massapequa Park, NY in 1979. He m. Anne ________. They had the following child:
78. HENRY MICHAEL METELL
39. HERBERT DANIEL METELL, (Joseph1),
b. May 15, 1925. He was living in Oak Bluffs in 1937, and
in Vineyard Haven in 1961 and 1984. He m. Ledwina Ann Borges in 1947. Called "Lee",
she was b. in 1925 in New Bedford MA, the dau. of Antonio Joaquim Borges
and Maria Virginia Ponte. Herbert Daniel Metell (39) d. March 9, 1984 in
Ft. Lauderdale FL. He and Ledwina Ann Borges had the following children:
*80. DANIEL HERBERT METELL
81. DALE MARIE METELL
*82. DOREEN ANN METELL
83. JULIE ROSE METELL
Who was the Manuel Metall, b. July 1874
in Azores, who appears in the 1900 Cottage City census as a boarder in the
home of farmer Frank Chase? He immigrated in 1896, was single and illiterate.