1. JOHN ATSATT, the first of the name to reside on the Vineyard, probably belonged to a family of this name which resided in Lyme, Conn., and various branches of it are found under the spelling of Atsett, Adsit and possibly Edget. John was a tailor and was admitted the church at E. 1748 which is the probable date of his appearance on the Island. He was in the "alarm list" of the militia in 1757 and rem. to Conway, Mass. bef. 1790. He m. BATHSHEBA _____.
10. JOHN, bapt. 4 Sept. 1748; served in Sea Coast Defence 1776.
11. THOMAS, b. 1750, d. Nov. l777; served in Sea Coast Defence 1776. [He m. Sarah _____.]
12. BATHSHEBA, b. (1752); m. EDWARD BURGESS 4 Aug. 1774.
13. SARAH, b. (1753); m. DANIEL MANTER (77) 11 July 1774.
14. MARY, b. (1756); m. SHUBAEL LUCE (550).
15. (_____), b. (1758); m. JONATHAN DUNHAM (184).
SOLOMON BACON (John, 2 Nathaniel1), b. 3 Apr. 1701 in Barnstable, came to E. abt. 1720 and was a physician in the town for several years. He m. SARAH LOTHROP (60) 5 June 1719. Parson Homes in his diary states that "Mrs. Bacon died on Thursday last" (5 Oct. 1723).
PHILIP BAILEY came to E. abt. 1705, at which time he purchased real estate in the town. He m. Mrs. DORCAS (STEWART) (6) SMITH, wid. of Philip Smith (22). Nothing is known of him but it may be inferred that he died bef. 1728. He may have come from Coventry, Conn. Dorcas Bailey died 1719 and inventory of her estate was returned 11 May 1719.
THOMAS, res. Coventry; weaver, E. 1728.
WILLIAM, res. E. 1729; C. 1743, cooper.
JACOB, res. E. 1729, weaver.
Several persons of this name, probably from Cape Cod, resided in T. in the 18th century, the first being Isaac, a cooper, who bought land in W. T. in 1710. No connection is known to exist between him and others of the name who married there as late as 1769.
JAMES BANNING, b. 1746, resided in E. and married MERCY COFFIN (66) [in Edgartown] by whom he had: JAMES, b. 1776; FRASIER, b. 1785; JEREMIAH, b. 1787; MERCY and JEREMIAH. The latter named married ABIGAIL MARCHANT (143) 16 Dec. 1821 [in Edgartown.] James, Sr., died 9 Nov. 1826. [Mercy Banning m. Henry Pease Worth (72) in Edgartown on 21 Oct. 1813.]
DANIEL BARKER was a resident of C. in 1741, a black smith by occupation; perh. from Pembroke, Mass.
SETH BARSTOW,(Samuel,4 Samuel,3 Joseph,2 William1), of Hanover, Mass., b. 15 June 1742, came to T. and bought land at Chickemmoo 11 Mch. 1771. He had previously m. RUTH ALLEN (171) 1 Dec. 1766. He was a shipwright by trade. In 1774 he sold his property and removed to Mattapoisett, thence to Sharon, Conn. (1777). He d. 10 Oct. 1822 and she d. 2 Nov. 1816.
50. THOMAS ALLEN, b. 2 Sept. 1767.
51. PEGGY, b. Sept. 1769.
52. OLIVE, b. Nov. 1771.
53. MARY, b. Feb. 1775.
54. SAMUEL, b. May, 1777.
55. SETH T., b. 30 Oct. 1779
56. BETSEY, b. Dec. 1781.
57. GAMALIEL, b. 1783.
58. CHARLES, b. 1787.
SILAS BARSTOW, probably from Hanover, came to T. as a transient and m. RUTH LUCE (411) 21 Oct. 1768.
Return to Dukes County Genealogy.