1. JOSEPH A. MACHADO / MARSHALL, called "Joe," b. May 23, 1885 in St. Michael. He was the son of Joseph Marshall and Mary Machado of St. Michael. (He had a brother Lewis M. Marshall and a sister Mrs. Louisa Machado living in Fall River in 1956.) He came to the US and to Vineyard Haven in the early 1920s, and was called a Tisbury carpenter in 1922, a Tisbury laborer in 1925, , and a Tisbury gardener in 1934. He lived on Howard Ave., Tisbury (also known as "Hospital Road" and "Chicken Alley") during 1923-1939. His death records call him a caretaker and gardener .
He m. Angelina Rezendes Borges (60). She was b. in 1888 in Lowell, MA, the dau. of Manuel Rezendes Borges (50) and Mary Anne Phillips (and the sister of Mrs. Mary Rocha of Vineyard Haven). She d. June 22, 1964Martha's Vineyard Hospital. Joseph A. Marshall (1) d. June 30, 1956 in Tisbury of a heart attack. They had the following children:
*10. EMMA MARSHALL, b. in 1909 in Fall River MA. She was a Tisbury waitress in 1925. She m(1) Charles Jenipa Pachico (26) November 26, 1926. He was b. July 21, 1905, the son of Manuel G. Pachico (11) and Louise Delphina Texeira. He d. March 2, 1927. Emma Marshall (10) m(2) Robert Salvadore (13) on Feb. 16, 1927 in Tisbury, m(3) Mike Stabile and m(4) ________ (from New Jersey). She was living in Boston in 1956, 1964 and 1967. Salvadore was a Tisbury mechanic in 1927.
*11. GEORGE JOSEPH MARSHALL, b. in Feb. 1, 1916. .
12. FRANK MARSHALL, b. Sep. 29, 1918. He m. Helen ________. She was from Hyannis MA, b. ________. He was living in Hyannis in 1956, 1964, and 1967.
*13. ALFRED JOSEPH MARSHALL, b. May 18, 1922 in Tisbury.
14. IRENE MARSHALL, b. July 29, 1924 in Tisbury; d. November 8, 1927 in Tisbury.
15. STANLEY J. MARSHALL, b. Dec. 31, 1925 in Tisbury. He was living in Vineyard Haven in 1956, 1964 and 1967. He m. Mary Isabel Bernard (70) December 29, 1950. She was b. Apr. 19, 1927, the dau. of William Alfred Bernard (18) and Joanne MacIvor.
16. DOROTHY MARSHALL, b. Oct. 7, 1928 in Tisbury. She m. Archie Raymond Carson June 16, 194 . He was from Braham MN, b. in 1926. She was living in Washington State in 1956, and in California in 1964 and 1967.
17. JOSEPH MARSHALL JR., b. March 18, 1934 in Tisbury. He was living in Vineyard Haven in 1956, 1964, and 1967. He died June 10, 1997.
11. GEORGE JOSEPH MARSHALL, (Joseph1), b. in Feb. 1, 1916 in Rehoboth. He was a Tisbury laborer in 1937. He was living in Stamford CT in 1956, in Connecticut in 1964, and in Rhode Island in 1967. He m(1) Rose Mary Ferreira (11) June 15, 1937. She was b. c. 1915-6, the dau. of John D. Ferreira (1) and Mary M. Duart Sylvia (272) who used Duart as her maiden name. (Note that Marshall brothers married Ferreira sisters.) Rose Mary Ferreira (11) had been m(1) to Robert Ernest Goodick (1) and would later m(3) John N. Leite (1). She d. in 1972. George Joseph Marshall (11) m(2) Jean ________. He had the following children:
*20. GEORGE JOSEPH MARSHALL, JR.
21. ALBERT MARSHALL, b. June 27, 1939 in Oak Bluffs; d. June 28, 1939 in Oak Bluffs.
*22. ARTHUR DONALD MARSHALL
23. WALTER MARSHALL
*24. JAMES STANLEY MARSHALL
25. STEPHEN ALLAN MARSHALL
26. DENNIS WAYNE MARSHALL
*27. CHRISTOPHER MARSHALL
JOSEPH MARSHALL, (Joseph1),
b. May 18, 1922 in Vineyard Haven . He was a Tisbury sailor in 1941. He
lived in Vineyard Haven, and was a first mate employed by the Steamship Authority.
Alfred Joseph Marshall (12) d. March 24, 1967 after a heart operation .
He m. Hilda M. Ferreira (13) December 25, 1941. She was b. October 22, 1919 in Oak Bluffs, the dau. of John D. Ferreira (1) and Mary M. Duart Sylvia (272) of Oak Bluffs, who used Duart as her maiden name. (Note that Marshall brothers married Ferreira sisters.) She lived in Oak Bluffs. Hilda M. Ferreira (13) d. November 1, 1970 at the Martha's Vineyard Hospital.
They had the following children:
*30. JAMES JOSEPH MARSHALL
*31. RICHARD PAUL MARSHALL
32. MICHAEL JOSEPH MARSHALL
*130. Irene Clara Marshall, --------See Machado.
140. Raymond H. Marshall, --------See Machado.
150. Louis Marshall / Machado, - See Machado.
200. Joseph R. Marshall, b. Nov. 1850 in Azores. He immigrated in 1865 or 1875 (records vary) , was called a marine steward in 1900 Edgartown, and was a resident of Edgartown in 1905. He was a steamboat cook living with his parents-in-law on Mill Street, Edgartown in 1910.
He married Josephine Silva AKA Josephine Anderson about 1884-5. She was born Feb. 1866 in Edgartown, the adopted daughter of Edgartown farmer Manuel Silva and Louisa _____, and the adopted sister of Joseph King and Frank Silva. She was an Edgartown seamstress in 1900. After she married she lived in Provincetown and later in New Bedford, where she was living in 1942. She died in Westport at the home of her grandson E. Marshall Perry on Sep 17, 1946.
They had one daughter:
210. MARIA LOUISA MARSHALL, b. Aug. 1886 in Edgartown, and appears with her parents in the 1900 Edgartown census. She was a member of the Edgartown High School class of 1904. She married Manuel Perry of New Bedford on June 7, 1905 at Mount Carmel Church in New Bedford. He was a New Bedford "boss comber" in 1905, the son of Joseph Perry Mederious and Margaret Julia, who was born c. 1883-4 in Fayal. Mariae on died Oct. 15 1920 at her home on 177 Thompson St., New Bedford. They had a son Eugene Perry, born about 1905-07. (He may also be the same as E. Mashall Perry who was living in Westport in 1946.)
400. Capt. Francis J. Marshall, b. Sep.
15, 1857 in New Bedford, the son of Azorean immigrants. He was working as a master mariner on a steamship and
living on South Water Street in Edgartown in 1910, and was
an Edgartown Master Mariner in 1933. He died Sep. 6, 1933 in Edgartown.
He m. Emily Hallett Bearse about 1880-1. She was born c. Sep. 26 1861 in Hyannis, the daughter of Thomas Bearse of Hyannis. She died in Edgartown on Feb. 5, 1912.
They had three children, all living in 1910, including:
410. DOROTHY MARSHALL, born c. 1894-5 in Mass. She was living with her parents in Edgartown in 1910.
* Who was Mrs. Frank Marshall of Vineyard Haven whose neice Miss Mary Sullivan, a. 19, dau. of John Sullivan, was strangled in Boston c. 1963-4?