|Is the person a State or town pauper?||Cost of support of each person per week.|
Remarks: these persons are Mostly Aged and retain Scarcely a Spark of Reason and are Kept by their [illeg. (own?)] relatives who make use of proper restrictions But under the Inspection of the Overseers - the are worn out with Infirmity But ocassionaly furiously Mad.
Nathan S. Bassett } Overseers of the Poor of Chilmark
Chilmark Dec. 20th 1842.
1. What means of ventilation are used for the rooms in which the Lunatics or Idiots are confined?
By windows and Doors
2. How are the rooms warmed?
by coals being lit in them occasionally and they come out and warm themselves by the fire of the family with which they Board
3. How often are these rooms cleaned?
They are boarded out one in a family and they clean their rooms as often as they think needful
4. How often and how much are the Lunatics and Idiots, who are confined, allowed to exercise in open air?
there is but two confined to rooms and they go out occasionally with a keeper sometimes oftener than at other times
5. Is a physician emplyed to attend upon these Lunatics for the purpose of curing their mental derangement, or only in case of bodily disease?
Only in case of Bodily Disease
6. If any paupers belonging to your town are now in the State Lunatic Hospital, please state their names and ages, and the time when each was sent there.
7. If any lunatic persons or idiots are confined in the alms-house, besides paupers, please state their names and the various circumstances concerning them, according to the questions in the table.